The Hindu culture embodies a large number of communities which differs from each other in terms of traditions. There is a vast difference observed in the wedding rituals and customs amongst Hindu weddings also. The wedding rituals mainly depend on the history associated with the community. One of the largest and fastest growing Hindu communities in Kerala is Ezhava. They are the descendants from the ancient Dravidian dynasty.
Though weddings in Kerala do not follow week-long celebrations and are usually very short events, amongst all Hindu community weddings in Kerala, Ezhava weddings are the shortest. It is mostly one-day affair without much noise and show off.
Ezhava Wedding Rituals are comparatively much different from Nair Wedding Rituals. The rituals involved in a typical Ezhava Hindu wedding are as follows:
- The auspicious ceremony kicks off by offering prayers to Lord Ganesha and Lord Gauri. On the morning of the marriage, the groom seeks the blessings of Lord Ganesha for a happy and prosperous marriage, whereas the bride worships Goddess of Power in the Gauri Puja done at the house of the bride.
- After this, an auspicious time is calculated through proper calculations by the family astrologer for the wedding ceremony. This ritual is known as Muhurtham
- Then the bride and groom along with their family members assemble at the wedding venue (which may be the nearby temple or any other convention centre). Here actual wedding ceremony is performed in front of guests and family members.
- Ezhava Stage Decoration Including Jagat Guru Sree Narayana Gurudev (Photo/ Idol), Para, 03-05 Nilavilakku, Coconut Flower, 07/011 thalam, Sofa etc.
- The bride is brought to the Mandapam in a basket. After the Kanyadan (father gives the hand of his daughter in groom’s hand), the couple circles the holy fire at the enchantment of Holy Scriptures.
- After this mangalsuthra is tied around the bride’s neck by the groom depicting the promise to serve each other as long as they shall live.
All these rituals and customs makes Ezhava weddings engaging and mesmerizing. For more information about Ezhava community marriages and for best Ezhava wedding planners, get in touch with Kerala Wedding Planners.
Blog by Muskan Mehta, Kerala Wedding Planners.