Kerala Wedding Planners did as many Nair Community Weddings in Kerala. Nair Wedding traditions and customs are almost similar to Ezhava Weddings. Here we presenting the list of essential things (on the wedding day) required for Hindu Weddings in Kerala.
Usually, the list of things shown below arranged by stage decorators and wedding planners like us. However, you can save this list for future references.
List of Things (on the wedding day) you required for Hindu Nair Wedding
- Stage Decoration – Nair Wedding community people mostly prefer traditional stage decoration. It can be decorations like – Mullapandal, KathirMandapam, Fiber Golden Stages, Cloth Arch Decoration etc. The Average Pricing of stage decoration in Kerala can find from this link.
- Para and Pookula – A setup like this is essential not only for Nair wedding but also for every Hindu Wedding. Nellu (Corn) filled inside the Nirapara and Coconut Flower place inside Nirapara
- Astamangaliya Thattu – It’s a set of 8 different items, it’s an essential thing in every Hindu Nair Weddings. (Astamangaliya Thattu)
- Thalam + Vilakku Setup – It’s essential for every Hindu Nair Weddings. Each thalam includes arecanut flower, rose petals, marrygold flower, Small para + Kasavu visari cloth, small vilakku. The thalam + vilakku setup arranged in odd numbers (1,3,5,7,9) etc. Usually, in Nair weddings, the minimum number of thalam will be 7. As per the traditions,thalam should be carried by the unmarried Girls.
5. Kindi, Sandal Paste, Bokeh + Sweekarana Mala – These carried by the brother of the bride / elder sister of the bride at the sweekaranam time (when groom entering to the stage).
6. Ganapati + Thalam – Ganapati Idol and Thalam Place at the Entrance of the Wedding. According to the Hindu rituals, Lord Ganapati is considered as a Murthy to remove all to obstacles
7. Wedding Garland and Bokeh – Wedding Garland and Bokeh for weddings usually arrange by Wedding Planners or Stage Decorators like Kerala Wedding Planners. The Set Includes two Mala and Two bokeh.
Nair Kerala Wedding Rituals Simply Explained
- Welcoming Groom to the Stage- The Nair groom welcoming to the stage by the brother/cousin/elder sister of the bride. (a) At the entrance, the responsible person (brother/cousin/elder sister ) first pouring water to the bare feet of the groom (this is the first welcoming ceremony of the groom to the bride’s family) (b) Next is pouring Paneer (rose water) (c) Chandam Thodeel ( applying bit sandal paste on forehead) (d) The final stage is sweekarana mala idiyikkal (wearing flower garland and bokeh ) to the groom
- Welcoming Groom to the Stage/ Mandapam: Groom accompanied by the cousins and siblings of the bride. He entered the stage, then greet the guests and sit on the Mandapam
- Bride Entry – Accompanied by the girls with thalam and nadhaswaram, the bride enters the stage by holding the hand of father/ uncle/ father’s brother and then greet the audience and sit next to the groom in mandapam seating
- Thalikettu – Thali is considered as the symbol of faith. At the muhurth time (referred by astrologist) the groom wear thali around the bride’s neck.
- Exchange of Garlands – After Thalikettu, next is the exchange of Garlands and bokeh. As per the Nair traditions, the Garland supplied by the bride team.
- Exchange of Gold Rings: After the function exchanging Garlands, next is exchanging gold rings labelled with the name of couples. This should be provided by both parties.
- Exchange of Gold necklace: Next is exchanging gold necklace. This should be provided by both parties.
- Sindhooram Thodel: The groom put a bitKumkumam/ Sindhooram at the center forehead of the bride. An icon like this can see in every Hindu married woman in Kerala. It’s belief of trust between the partners.
- Mathrakodi Saree Exchange: The groom offering a Manthrakoti (bridal dress) to the bride. She wears mathrakodi at the time of entering groom’s house.
- Anuvada Chadangu: This is the last thing of Hindu Nair Wedding rituals. Bride’s father considers the groom as her son-in-law. Rituals followed like simply put bride right hand over groom’s right hand.
Article researched Written by Vinod and Muskan Mehta of Kerala Wedding Planners.
Kerala Wedding Planners is a wedding planner and stage decoration company based in Cochin Ernakulam. We do provide stage decoration services across Kerala.